View Single Post
Old 28th May 2018, 8:47 am   #19
Ancient Geek
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Acknowledging replies in 'Repair & restoratiion sections

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Sorry Steve, I've been out for the evening. I deleted your post because, as previously explained, it didn't offer the assistance that the poster was asking for. As you have raised the issue, I've now silently approved it, but I can't see how it constitutes a reason for people not reading threads, sticky or otherwise.
You're in good company though, a good percentage of members have had posts deleted in this section. Posters here are after actual help, not suggestions or encouragement, however well meaning (and most of our members are just that)
I have absolutely no gripe with you not approving my post. You were correct in your action. My post did not meet the rules and contained nothing of any importance at all. My point is not about that, though.

I almost feel like typing this with caps lock on in the hope that someone will understand if I shout loud enough

1. Like all good members, I read the forum rules when I joined.

2. When my post failed to appear, I re-read the forum rules. There is a handy link just up there ---^ labelled "Forum Rules". I just re-read them again. The rule I broke is not in there. There is not even a statement to the effect that other rules specific to certain sections may be contained in sticky posts, or even on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.”

3. Because the section-specific rules were contained in a sticky post, I never saw them. Not because I deliberately negelected to read them, but because I was totally oblivious to their presence. I never visited the section index as I had no clue that it could be important to do so.

4. Consequently, I was baffled as to the non-appearance of my post.

My suggestions are:

1. Please put all important rules in one place.

2. For pre-moderated sections, please consider informing the member why a post was not approved.