Thread: Mini-Mod 2021!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2021, 12:39 pm   #83
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Mini-Mod 2021!

It's really good to see that this project is still living. I wrote the MiniMod article that got published in the BVWS Winter 2011 edition!

It always was a compromise between complexity and performance. Great to see the variety of enclosures and the efforts made to make them - I just used plastic project boxes from ebay.

As stations continue to close, it's possible Ofcom will be even less likely to take an interest in what's going on in medium wave - as long as a station's content doesn't draw complaint.

(I was told unofficially in 2014 by an Ofcom inspector that MW pirates are no longer on their radar, as long as the content isn't political, racist, etc. and that would only come to their attention by a report from a member of the public. Our pantry transmitters put out less energy than many SMPS, and don't cause wide-band interference. Nevertheless, unofficial broadcasting is still illegal.)

In future I may develop a simple, more stable and effective AM signal source using CPP Field Programmable Blank Oscillators. They are MUCH cheaper then quarts crystals!