View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 11:51 pm   #15
nzoomed
Pentode

Default Re: Winding a new output transformer for a Philips B5G64A Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi, I think your figures should work just fine, interleaving will only improve matters and as Joe says the yellow polyester tape is great for insulation between windings.
You can use grade 2 (double enamelled) wire for both pri and sec, but many winders simply use grade one on the output transformers where insulation requirements may be lower.

You should check your core, if it was not interleaved laminations and they were only butted together, there is often a layer of paper about 2-3 thou thick to create a slight air gap and reduce core saturation.
Candle (paraffin) wax that is not coloured also works as an impregnant.

Ed
Ive always wondered where you buy that special yellow tape from thats used on transformers, it seems to have a different type of adhesive unlike sellotape.
I was going to use kapton tape if thats something you recommend?
I didnt realise there was a double enamelled wire, i really need to go through mine and take a closer look, many rolls have had the labels fall off.
Im just going to use my digital calipers to measure the wire, im assuming that should be near enough, although the enamel thickness on this older wire could be alot different than modern wire.

Candle wax could be a good option, I had also been exploring glyptal which is supposed to have good insulation properties and was made for this purpose.
Eventually I want to get a vacuum chamber set up for this too.