View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2019, 8:39 pm   #7
Christinemacca
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Auto return too soon on turntable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
It's not a difficult job. I'm not familiar with the Sanyo Turntable in particular, but the cam gear is usually clearly visible once the turntable is removed-it's usually a white plastic gear around 2" in diameter. The trip Pawl is two metal pieces which must be free to move. Maybe another member can explain in detail what is needed, but essentially the old grease should be cleaned off and new lubricant sparingly applied.
Thanks very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
This thread describes how the trip pawl works:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8936
Thanks I appreciate this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
No, you can't just live with it.

When the chunk of metal on the platter spindle comes into hard contact with the trip as the stylus traverses the run out groove on the record, a considerable jolt is transferred to the stylus for a fraction of a second. This doesn't matter in the run out groove, but will matter if it keeps happening in the same place on the delicate playing grooves of an LP record. If you turn the volume right down and listen very carefully to the record deck, you'll probably be able to hear the clonk, clonk, clonk on every revolution of the record just before it auto-trips and lifts the arm off. If you look very closely, you may even be able to see the pickup head move or jump very slightly with each 'clonk'!

You risk spoiling your records (as well as spoiling your enjoyment of them), so it needs fixing. As said, it's an easy enough job.
Thank you. I appreciate your advice