View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2019, 5:26 pm   #106
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: 13 amp fuse for 1.5mm mains flex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
Like magic I have rustled up one in retail packaging for a quick tear down....
The socket strip itself is a bodger's special with shutters that can be opened with the earth pin of any 13A plug.
As chance would have it, I have just come across a potential hazard with these socket strips. I pulled this one pictured out from under some furniture at a relative's house, and it literally fell to pieces in my hand. There had been a transformer-wall wart for a little used DAB radio left in it, amongst other things. I presume the heat of the tranny over a decade or so must have helped weaken the plastic, but even the farthest sections could be pulled apart with practically zero effort. Don't recognize the brand, likely a supermarket or pound shop special.

I advise anyone with such a strip into which older wall warts are left connected to check it, to be on the safe side.
That one has a different styling to the one I showed in post#52 so hopefully mine will last a bit longer.
We will just have to be careful to unplug the things from the wall socket before changing plugs over after they have been in use for an extended period and keep a few recently bought ones handy as replacements for when they fall to bits.
It is not the first photo I have seen of one that has fallen apart.