View Single Post
Old 25th May 2019, 9:12 pm   #44
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Who's still using their old Safebloc?

I'm certainly still using mine, plus the less safe home made version as can be seen in the photo. The cheap rubber plugs fitted to them both at the time are not ideal, and the one on the home made block has the insert pulled out of the base, hence the remains of the red tape which used to hold it together. Latterly, I found it more useful to have it with a quick removable plug top for quick fuse changing (I blew quite a few), the plug top doesn't pull completely off when removing it from the socket due to it being of the type that the cable has to be threaded through before connecting to the plug terminals. Having something like this is NOT to be recommended to others on safety grounds - it's a case of "do as I say", and not as I do! Also, the toggle switch has had its contacts welded permanently in the 'on' position due to something going 'bang' (probably more than a few times) on switch on many years ago...I ought to get round to replacing that switch some time, and the plug, I hear you say!

It also seems that I still have the original box for the proper Safeblock. This has survived due to it being used as a box to keep a lot of random diodes and bridge rectifiers in - there's a paper label stuck on the top of it with Sellotape indicating its contents, the tape having now aged will probably come off quite easily now, thus leaving the box as original should I want to keep it as a collectors item

The white ribbed cable on both of them came from the same drum, possibly sometime in the early to mid 70s. Notice how mucky the cable is on the home made 'danger-block' compared to the same cable on the Safeblock, that has to tell you something about which one has had the most use over the years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120804.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	183850