View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 8:50 am   #23
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Default Re: Who's still using their old Safebloc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I still use my Keynector (so not strictly a Safebloc) for quick tests on mains transformers and the like. I was given it about 40 years ago 'not to be used' as the (thin) plastic baseplate had cracked, exposting the live terminals where you connect the incoming mains lead. I screwed it (using the official mounting holes) to an offcut of chipboard and it's been fine ever since.

One odd thing about the Keynector (at least mine) is that the neon is connected between live (line, whatever) and _earth_. It doesn't pass enough current to trip an RCD, and I guess this warns against an L-N swap on the incoming mains.
A few years ago I rescued one of these that had failed a PAT test because of the neon between L and E, which although it won't trip an RCD, will pass enough current to fail an Insulation test. I suppose it makes sense to wire the neon in this way, to give a warning of L -N reversal, as the "switch" is only single pole, and it is obviously essential that the live is disconnected when people are clipping wires in!