View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 10:46 am   #54
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK 5 Restoration

A little mishap yesterday. I was getting ready to test DIN line recording and remembered that there are a couple of things I have been meaning to repair by gluing for a long time, so thought I would do the repairs first.

When I first got the TK 5 and opened it up, found that a little plastic holder bracket for the Fast Wind indicator lamp was broken, I should have repaired it at the time but just wrapped insulating tape around the bulb holder to hold it in place.

So yesterday I started the repairs, removed the insulating tape (exposing live contacts on the base of the lamp holder) but got side-tracked on something else before I did the glue repair. Got back to it later and forgot I was going to repair it and switched it on to start recording test.

Of course as luck would have it, the live contacts on the lamp holder were resting on the metal work with subsequent flash/bang ! then a dead unit.

The 5V 0.4A MBC bulb is in series with one side of the motor winding, the 2A internal mains fuse had not blown, but it had blown the 1A fuse in my 3 pin plug (I use 1A fuse normally for max protection).

Replacing the fuse got the unit powered up, but no tape transport operation, found that the bulb had also blown, so now just need to find a suitable bulb, I think there is a very similar one in my TK 35.

Morale of the story here is not to delay important repairs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200330_095735838.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	201813