View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:52 pm   #21
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Radiophile Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
Unfortunately the quality of lots does vary, and it's simply not realistic to check every item before it goes into the sale.
I appreciate that but how about selling as "seller declared complete" "seller declared incomplete" and "unknown" then at least bidders would know what they are buying ?
It was stated at the auction that lots were "worth the start price for the valves alone," fair enough if the valves are there...
I wasn't particularly bothered about the lots I bought having been robbed as one was stripped for parts and I didn't need the output valve the other I had a suitable valve to replace the missing one. It was just the principle really I felt a bit ripped off.. Had the valves been present but duff I would have thought no more of it as that is the risk you take.
At Harpenden recently there was a few radios entered in the auction minus valves this was clearly declared so the buyers knew what they were getting (or not) .

The advantage of buying a rough woodwormed incomplete set cheap is that there is no guilt in stripping it for parts. My opinion is that I didn't scrap it the previous owner did. I am just salvaging useful parts so better sets may live...
As far as being too remote there are a lot of collectors in Cambridgeshire Cowbit has always been well attended with lots of good stalls and good lots in the Auction until recently. Now it really is a shadow of the former events.

I appreciate that ebay has had a significant effect on collectors events and as time passes that seems to be more the case.
I don't suppose much can be done ?

Rich.