View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2018, 3:26 pm   #19
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: GPO exchange codes for charging dockets

The codes applied to exchanges as well. All 'Y' codes were not radio stations as I mentioned in my post of the 5th Sept. I have one of the 1141 documents listing all the sites and I quoted a number of exchanges with Y codes including Yarnfield UAX12 near Stafford and CTS Stone so oved by many GPO/PO/BT engineers over the years - neither of which could be said to be 'radio stations'

The little buildings you refer to were 'CRS' - Coax Repeater Stations every 5 or 6 miles along routes between larger repeater stations interlinked by coaxial cable routes. They were very similar to an exchange 'A' type building used for 100 line UAX5's and the later UAX12's exchanges.

This is the one at Minera between Wrexham and Ruthin on the A525 - its code was ZCW/B on the coax route from Colwyn Bay to Wrexham..

ZCW was the then 'Coedpoeth' UAX13 a mile or so south - hard to find now unless you knew where it was! Spot the UAX building! It closed on 23 Feb 1977 when the lines became 'Wrexham' numbers off 'Wrexham 'North' satellite exchange a couple of miles away. The 'A' type building was quite small - this was Eccleston UAX5 just south of Chester - now a private garage.