View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2004, 8:01 am   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Specs and Feedback needed for converter

I understand Malcolm's feelings especially as he put an enormous amount of work into the Domino converter. I think I persuaded Malcolm to use a framestore based design. I saw it being developed, witnessed its birth and reviewed the first production unit for the BVWS Bulletin. Remember that Malcolm, unlike Darryl, is not a design professional. I guess (please tell me if I'm wrong) that although the design is done in his spare time, Darryl has access to the full suite of Xilinx design tools at work and the experience to use them effectively.

This makes the Domino a great achievement indeed and it still stands alone as the only 405 converter that you can buy right now. (I am overlooking the last few Pineapple units that were recently sold)

I think Malcolm is right in stating that he has now supplied the majority of the UK demand but if others want to enter the market they are free to do so. Unlike the recent resurrection of the Pineapple converter Darryl's design definitely has something new to offer. Notably its flexibility and reprogrammability. It may even be capable of doing 405 NTSC for that handful of people who have experimental receivers for that standard. See this thread for the rather technical discussion that we've had.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...read.php?t=956

I'm sure that there are a few people in the forum who will understand what we're talking about (certainly Evingar - any others out there?) If you get fed up with Darryl and I discussing this sort of thing (Xilinx, dual port RAM etc etc) in the open forum then we could do it privately.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Dec 2004 at 3:08 pm.