View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 1:29 pm   #1
tubesrule
Hexode

Default Specs and Feedback needed for converter

Hello all,
Much progress has been made on the PAL/SECAM version of the converter. All the electronic standards have been coded and verified. Which brings up the first request; does anyone have the original timing diagrams for the 441/25i, 240/25p or 180/25p standards? I have all the rest of them, and for now based the 441 standard off the 405, and the 240 and 180 off the RCA ones, but it would be nice to have the actual timing for them.
Also, for the 819, 441 and 405 standards I added a more modern equalization/serration vertical sync pulse rather then the simple broad pulses of the original standard. This will provide a much better and more stable interlace, and be compatible with all equipment. Which would most people rather see, this method or the original pulses? For myself, sometimes I like to go by the book, deficiencies and all, to experience what it would have actually been like, but sometimes it nice to just be able to fully enjoy the set.
Now it's on to the mechanical standards, which brings up the other request; what standards make the most sense for European use? I believe the Baird 30/12.5, TaKaDe 30/12.5, and NBTV 32/12.5 are all good choices. Beyond these I am not familiar with what other standards were in use in Europe, and I don't know what the possibilities are for using American sets in Europe. Most American sets used Mains synchronized motors, so assuming they would run at 50Hz, the frame rates would need to be so adjusted. This is what I would propose to do at this point for the other standards.

Thanks,
Darryl

PS I'll be gone for a few days and won't be able to respond until next week.