View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2022, 10:57 am   #11
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Cassette deck head alignment - a surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
I'd be interested to see the "head height" adjustment on your Denon's head. Usually no single screw adjusts head height, but two screws which must be adjusted in tandem. If not, head tilt (zenith) is affected. It can be difficult to get tilt back to standard. Also azimuth is changed regardless. After each height change we have to correct the azimuth error which was created. It's rare to find a deck which allows head height adjustment independently of zenith and azimuth.
It's a bit tricky to take photos because the cassette door is in the way, but these two should give you an idea. The tape path seems remarkably adjustable for a deck which is by no means top-of-the-range. The adjustments are also pretty robust. They're nuts on studding, rather than the screws in to thin sheet metal which are so often found.

The record and play heads are glued together in one assembly with a tape guide screwed to the side. On the left is the prominent azimuth adjustment nut, and on the right is its complement. I'm referring to these two together as the "head height adjustment" just because of the geometry of the situation - they're relatively close to the tape itself, so their primary effect is going to be the height and they'll have a relatively small (though not zero, of course) effect on the zenith. It's quite practical to turn the left and right nuts together with a pair of 4mm socket drivers.

The "zenith adjustment" is below the head on the left hand side and seems to be still factory sealed and I'm not going to fiddle with it. As far as I can see it'll mostly affect the zenith but also have a smallish effect on the head height.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221221_103734.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	270184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221221_103748.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	270185