View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2021, 1:26 pm   #2178
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
On the subject of a "nothing special" amplifier sounding good and thereby being dressed up and sold for a high price...
Not so long ago I was given an Am$trad tower system with speakers, the whole thing was tatty and rough having been in a shed for years.
I salvaged the cassette deck for parts, The BSR turntable was the cheapest most plastic grotty thing I have ever seen so that went in the bin with the rest of it!
The speaker cabinets were the ones with the flashing LEDs on them and in what I now know to be the best assembly method were of course glued together.
When I broke them apart I found they were fitted with Celestion speakers.

I was very surprised to find that! I expected Alan would have specified the cheapest grot he could have got his hands on!
So maybe that is the secret of good sound - Good speakers and you can get away with murder (to a degree) as far as the amp is concerned... I regret now not testing the thing to see how much that deck rumbled!
Speakers have the largest amount of distortion in the signal chain. Hence, the better the speaker the better the sound. It's always been that way. And yet you can still hear/identify a good amp even though its distortion might be 100 times lower than a pair of speakers. Strange but true. How's that David? Craig? Ted? or maybe you disagree!