View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2021, 9:52 pm   #9
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Transistors from old CFL bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
but after you've struggled to strip one or two you come to realise that life's too short
That was kinda my conclusion too after eviscerating a few integrated examples and, bearing in mind that there was always strong competition to make the most unobtrusive and svelte (well-crammed) fitting on the market, the electronics bit will inevitably be well fried and weary after a few thousand hours service (especially relevant with capacitors). That crammedness also means minimal length components, adding to the un-usefulness. At the end of the day, there's nothing inside that couldn't be purchased new for not much- an HV electrolytic of a few uF and the afore-mentioned HV transistors. If nothing else, the part numbers of the latter give an example of something to search in future!

An insight into an application of an HF version of the Baxandall-modified Royer oscillator, though, so sort of educational.

The one time I bothered with component reclamation was on finding a few hundred NOS installation-type CFL drivers in a skip on an industrial estate, things about the size of two fag-packets with a screw-hole at each corner and a choc-strip along one edge- each had a RIFA 6.8uF 450V 125 degree axial elko with long leads, these were harvested and feature in various things here. Even so, I doubt they'd be more than about a quid each. (They also featured a pair of the afore-mentioned E13005 devices, presumably made by the gazillion for this market).