View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2023, 7:27 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandy , Radio-Shack catalogues and history

-Not only did stuff seem more interesting back in the day, i would add that from our perspective the shops were more interesting! Tandy in Chelmsford is now Monsoon, with Accessorize next door. My first DMM came from there, an own brand device which was solid on the outside but cheap on the inside. (A recent quote from the forum applies- something along the lines of a pig in a dress or a dog in a frock)

I see the price in 1993 was $36 rising to $40 the following year, staying at that level until cessation of production around 1998. During this period there was on average $1.6 USD to the £, and i think that this correlates to what i paid for it, ie somewhere in the £22 to £25 ballpark- not exactly cheap. I finally cracked it open to recalibrate it a couple of years ago, and had to choose between having a good 2VDC range or a good 20VDC range- but at least there are actual pots. in there! The original test leads are still good, albeit the banana plugs have been changed. The sliding on-off switch is fine, unexpectedly.

Dave