View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2018, 7:43 pm   #36
GeorgeChristofi
Triode

Default Re: Jonell Radio. A cheaper version of the Ace 50.

Ok.... long time no update but several things have happened. First, I have rebuilt most of the set but have come across a real oddity with regards to the tuning coils. Still working that one out but it is looking less and less like an Ace 50 but more like an Ace Mayfair radiogram chassis in a tabletop case.

Second thing to happen... I managed to buy a second one! This also has a non standard valve in position 2 and the rectifier is missing. Although I have taken lots of photos of the inside, I have yet to actually do anything other than look. The second one looks much cleaner and more factory standard.

Where things have come apart is the aerial coil and tuning coils. The Ace 50 shows two coils for each. The radio itself only has a single coil for the tuning except for short wave where there is another coil on the same former. I'm assuming that this coil is commoned up with the other 3 wavebands to get the signal to the grid of the hexode of v1. the other set of three coils match up with the oscillator anode coils for IF so that part is straight forward.

I'm going to keep looking. For those wanting to keep up with the progress, you can watch things so far on youtube, search term, jonell 1949 tabletop radio.