View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2020, 5:39 pm   #1283
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post

As applied to loudspeakers, it is much more meaningful. In particular bass reflex and ABR speakers can indeed sound bloated and muddy at the bottom end.
I think the joke we were making had to do with the time ('fast') and frequency ('bass') domains being conjoined in the form of Fourier transform pairs (in a causal universe - which in the context of this thread could add another layer to the joke!) - the window length necessary for observing anything like 'bass' being anything but fast. But as usual explaining a joke makes it less funny, and there's not much less funny than an engineering joke even when you don't explain it

Actually, all that stuff about 'what do you hear when you hear the Q - the freq domain band-limited gain, or the modal decay time which goes along with it' once bothered me greatly, and I even have a JAES paper or two on it. But I'm blowing my own trumpet, which is embarrassing on an electronics forum where everyone knows more than I do!

Quote:
However, even there it is subject to analysis, as Richard Small and Neville Thiele showed in their seminal papers on low frequency speakers in the early 70's.
(More trumpet blowing - I once met them both at a conference, and seizing my courage in both hands went to sit with them at a formal dinner. Alas, my leg hit the table trestle, a big (lit) candlestick tottered, and for a moment it seemed I might achieve notoriety as the man who set light to either Thiele's beard or Small's wife).
mark_in_manc is offline   Reply With Quote