View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2022, 12:30 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio 4 heard on 396kHz

When I first heard this signal, I was sceptical about it being a straight transmitter harmonic, as I assumed that anything that fell in this NDB/maritime section of the spectrum would be quickly spotted and remedied, and that the 198kHz transmitter and its associated filtering and matching would have been specifically designed and set up to minimise the second harmonic possibility. I put it down to one of those sprogs that one occasionally finds in any superhet, and parked it in a quiet part of the grey matter. However, it seems that there's a degree of corroboration by others here, it was certainly clear and listenable late last night. Wonder how long it'll be around?

I'm reminded of an occasion, I think late '80s, when I heard a Radio 1 DJ (possibly DLT?) broadcasting an urgent appeal for someone out there to stop blocking 2182kHz with an apparently inadvertantly re-broadcast Radio 1, the supposition being that an emergency transmitter was being modulated by a nearby radio. A post here a while back revealed that a particular 1089kHz transmitter was prone to going faulty in some way and producing markedly increased second harmonic output every now and then, I wonder if that was at the root of this particular broadcast appeal.