View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 6:46 pm   #23
GlenTyan
Triode

Default Re: Exchange 'changeovers'

Having come across this thread it reminded me of my days in Line Test Support which also covered the changeover period from Strowger to Digital. I didn't attend all the changeover events in our district though I did the big TXE4's where I could or shortly afterwards to make sure all the Line Test kit was available to the front end staff as changeovers brought many subscriber enquiries and pressure on the Repair Service Controls (RSC's). On the run up to changeovers I'd often drop in on the construction staff to make sure the relevant test port jumpers were in place but even so occasionally it took some head scratching between myself and the System X or System Y support staff to resolve issues.

I see Crawford mentioned above and I recall going there a day or so after for a reason I can't remember now.

I also note a comment above about per second billing, something that is taken very seriously as I recall setting up radio clocks which took into account the propagation delay from the atomic clock at Rugby to our computer site which polled exchanges for billing data.

G.