View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2022, 10:46 am   #9
Ben Humphrys
Triode

Default Re: Pye Q4 Jewel case refurb

Hi John,

You must be approx. the same vintage as my relative!

I have two such sets, one treasured family heirloom, and one less important being dissected for parts from Ebay. One of them has Pye transistors that look a little bit like metal Rennies tablets with legs, as shown on the circuit diagram from RadioMuseum, and the other has black glass tubular OC series so maybe that one was the later version.

I will photograph both of the different sets ferrite wires and upload them later, with some notes about which goes where. Just give me a little while, please!

Ours was dead, but came back to life when we changed the electrolytic caps. Actually we changed one of the Plesseys first because the voltages differed from the schematic, and it burst into life straight away. It was still a bit crackly, popping and erratic when the wax capacitors in the audio section were tapped. so we are substituting them for modern ones right now.

Do you have any missing / cracked bits? Ours had been through the wars but between the pair of them there may be some useful leftovers if you need something in particular.