View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2022, 1:46 pm   #102
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 6-gang FM stereo tuner heads

Plenty of devices don't give a nice, straight, 3:1 slope for the third order intercept level.

Quite often the10, 20, I've seen 40! dB can be erratic and sometimes not even re-traceable.

So you say to yourself that you're using TOI to determine SFDR and you slap a ruler along the linear section and use that to determine the intercept point. This is where I expect a one-shot TOI measurement is likely to go astray.

To do a real TOI test, the levels of the two tone generators need to be varied over a decent span and the resulting plot needs careful interpretation. A bit of software in an analyser might give you a number, but you need to know how much you can trust it.

Once distortion effects in quartz crystals started to be known about, there was a trend away from using quartz filters in critical receivers. The HP3745A and 3747A were hex-superhets for example. Feedback RF amplifiers and also mixers can give 'interesting' TOI plots.

David