Old 25th May 2020, 12:48 pm   #22
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Re: Oscilloscope question - not vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanie View Post
Insofar as I can think ahead I only need it to measure and examine the waveform of AF voltages in intervalve amplifier circuits looking for distortion TT
Ah, you may be heading for a small pitfall.

You're planning your scope needs around the signals you expect to have in a working piece of gear.

You will also come across things which go unstable and oscillate. A low bandwidth scope might not show this and give you a smooth low freq trace that looks OK.

I'd suggest you should get at least a 10 or 20MHz scope to cover the sorts of misbehaviours you'll come across. Any less and you'll miss some clues that could make life a lot easier.

Two channels are handy for comparing things. You'll get along fine without needing more.
David
Timely warning thanks. I may learn something from working on two of the exact same model which - Murphy's Law permitting may have different fault symptoms. I may be able to compare a working piece of circuit from one recorder with the same section of the faulty one. (I expect to always have a working clone as I, Heaven forgive me have been buying £10 junkers to a number of thirty five currently. Since a lot of British manufactures seem to use the same circuitry I'm hoping to gain experience that way
Tony