Thread: Philips B3G63A
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2015, 8:54 pm   #78
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Philips B3G63A

Hi guys - been a bit busy in the real world and have only just assembled all the components and tools I need to tackle the FM dial cord. I'll give it a go this weekend and must admit to having a few trial runs in advance!

Meantime I've been working on the damaged Bakelite case and used Isopon P38 to fill in the missing pieces and smooth over the cracks. Applied the filler in several very thin coats and sanded down between each. I won't quite get back to a mirror finish but I've gradually moved from 240 to 1200 wet and dry paper. I've attached a picture showing where I am with this.

The next stage, when I'm happy with the surface finish, is to prime and paint - I'm considering Halfords Grey Primer and Halfords Vauxhall Brazil Brown??

Final question for now - I've attached a picture showing the metallised paper used as an earth inside the bottom of the cabinet which, as you can see, is a bit worse for wear! Can anyone advise what this stuff was and recommend a suitable replacement.

Need to add a special thanks to Tony (boxdoctor) who has been helping me with some of my detailed questions about dial cords, pulley wheels and tuning gangs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151112_191207.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	115471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151112_191234.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	115472