View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2011, 5:44 pm   #1
bileaflet_valve
Tetrode

Default The BBC 1-Valver - 2

Hi all,
This is my first post, so please forgive if I commit any gaffes . . .

Inspired partly by the previous thread on this topic (Jan 2005 - May 2008, now closed),

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=1595

I decided to see if I could locate one of those long-lost leaflets. I first made enquiries at the obvious places - British Library, BBC Written Archive. Then in early 2010 I put up a web site that described my "conjectural" rebuild of the set using the parts from the set my father built for me and which I had saved for over 50 years.

It took 14 months for the right person to visit the site and contact me with scans of the elusive leaflet.

With his permission and that of the BBC, the leaflet is now available for download at www.thestudioeonevalveradio.org.uk

My "conjectural" rebuild was some way out, and I will rebuild it (again) soon.

Also on the site can be found:

- a sketch of Gilbert Davey, who presented the BBC series, and published many other radio designs in the "Boy's Own Paper" and in his own books. Sadly he died recently at the grand old age of 97;

- an overview of the several versions of the Beginner's One valver - the BBC set is perhaps the best-known;

- a source list of Davey designs (being expanded as info becomes available);

- details of other Davey-designed sets built in recent years.

I would be glad to hear from anyone who has anything to contribute about the BBC 1-valver (including those who contributed to the earlier thread) or about any other Davey design, either via this forum or via my web site.

Last edited by Station X; 27th Jun 2011 at 9:07 pm. Reason: Link to old thread added.