View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2019, 9:11 pm   #75
BK0scillation
Triode

Default Re: Is Ever Ready still a part of your life?

Ever Ready, brought back some memories for me. In 1969 I was on an electrical engineering apprentice first year at Dagenham works, quite a large factory. Lots of ladies worked there and they were regularly frisked (they would be arrested for this now). Apart from that it was not a bad place to work. After one year we were due to go back to respective areas, but we had to dismantle the apprentice school first. They made every type of primary cell that you have mentioned, even HT batteries.
I went back to Walthamstow after this, an even older factory on five floors I think, opposite Black Horse road station. Conditions were primitive, anything made from metal would quickly dissolve with the ammonium chloride used in the cells.
There were many factories around the UK producing batteries, when this factory closed some production went to Wales.
There was a development facility in Tottenham where Nickel Cadmium cells were researched, if any one is interested I will do a second part as I do not want to bore, Jeff G0PGY