View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:28 pm   #26
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: BT microwave network history

This all reminds me of working on an event in the City of London. It was a linkup between the London and New York offices of a major financial trading house - the NY end was in the WTC which indicates how long ago it was.

As is often the case in the Square Mile, there was a building site across the road with some new architectural monstrosity in the early stages of construction.

I was doing the audio (we had installed speakers and video monitors all over the trading floors), not the link.

Some microwave engineers installed a satellite dish and equipment on the roof of the building early in the morning and got it all lined up and tested and hooked into our systems.

All was going well until near the end of the CEO's presentation when the link suddenly failed and I had to switch to the landline, audio only, backup.

The Production Manger rushed up to the roof to see what was going on. She returned to tell us that a large cantilever crane had arrived in a side street sometime during the day and had just erected itself. Directly in line with the dish...