View Single Post
Old 4th May 2021, 11:05 am   #18
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Improving the 'Ultra-Linear' push-pull amplifier.

Be a little careful of Menno's designs. I bought his book when it was released and "played" with a few ideas he presented. Toroidal output transformers are ten times harder to design than EI types. Yes, you get better coupling, but worse interwinding capacitance. Fix the capacitance and the coupling goes out the door. Toroids are very nice things, originally a spin off of double C core transformers. Double C core still require bobbins that you can section the windings fairly easily. Almost impossible with a toroid as one winding is basically stacked on top of the last, ( or next ). I tried winding a few simple ones, but ran into big problems. Yes I am not Menno Van Der Veen, but my EI designs beat the frequency response and efficiency of a toroid on any given day. Mind you they are more than twice the size. I run VERY conservative flux densities with my EI designs which is almost not a problem with toroids, nor is coupling that big a factor with toroids. BUT!!! interwinding capacity is a major drawback because vertical sectioning on a toroid reduces coupling by a huge percentage.

If you can't follow my discussion, please read up on your transformer theory.

With respect

Joe