View Single Post
Old 4th May 2021, 10:47 am   #17
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Improving the 'Ultra-Linear' push-pull amplifier.

Oh dear Andrew !!! The circlotron is fraught with problems!!. Wind a power transformer for a start!!.
I have made one only. I had to wind it on gate laminations, which have twice the length of normal laminations for the centre and outside legs. What that acheives is twice the winding length for the bobbin.
Regulation is of SUPER importance, because if one supply sags by even a small amount the output bottles will melt almost instantly. My attempt was just a puny pair of ( wonderful ) 6V6's. Its a pity that TRUE 8 ohms speakers are not and never will be available.

To G6, well, as modulators it might make sense. The modulator generally runs 100% modulation. so distortion with your real class B doesnt matter. I mostly do audio Hi-Fi, especially in my dotage, so class B is out. AB1 is nice because output power versus distortion and efficiency is quite good. NICE ultra linear transformers work well and can achieve good efficiency. As I am not seeking to modulate the other side of the world, I stay with UL designs.

Joe