View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2021, 9:05 pm   #12
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Meter plastic repair advice needed

Meter plastic repair.
I would endorse what Emeritus says. Methylene Chloride will soften the plastic and act as a cement, for Perspex, Melinex and most plastics of that sort.
It has a nasty heavy vapour. Now difficult to get in any quantity as it was discovered some years ago by the sniffing brigade.
If gap filling is required, then I suggest Tensol (from RS et al) as most suitable for perspex type plastics.
I used it last for a broken rear light cover on my trailer, where I had to build up a bit. Worked well.
Years ago, I used to use perspex dissolved in chloroform, but that was banned. then I used Tensol (made by ICI) of perspex dissolved in methylene chloride. It was very effective. Now it is a two part mix, Tensol 70. Works well. Shelf life of some years in practice. Seems much more effective than polystyrene cement.
I would hesitate to use contact adhesive (?Evostick). It is a brown colour and not good on perspex.
I am told by an expert china restorer locally that she uses methylene chloride to clean up the cracks where people have attempted to stick up broken china with odd adhesives. It cleans up almost everything. Then she uses araldite or similar and tints the seam. When finished the repair is invisible.
wme_bill

Last edited by WME_bill; 3rd May 2021 at 9:12 pm.