View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2017, 11:42 am   #112
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Why did folk always unplug the telly at night?

Hi
Ref post #105 - Sony did indeed have a problem with their 2092's mains switch (Preh white) and similar. I've seen one or two that have very little cabinet left. To their credit, Sony supplied a kit to repair this with a different type of switch, a sub-PCB and a small green blob you attached to the rear cover to prove the recall had been done. Since this switch wasn't known for combustion - they often failed in other sets, but controllably - I assume the very high inrush current needed to degauss a Trinitron tube (two posistors) was to blame.
The ICC5's switch frequently combusted, as did one fitted to the Philips sets of a similar era. Again. modified parts were supplied, but I don't think a recall was in place for these. We all know about the Thorn 1615 which were recalled by Radio Rentals due to print arcing.
Some years ago I was alarmed to hear of a house fire in town - no-one injured but it was caused by the TV - the one I'd just repaired and delivered! You can imagine the ice-cold feeling in my stomach - and the sense of relief when the fire officer announced that it was due to the occupant having left a burning candle on top of the plastic cabinet. No matter how safe you make equipment you can't allow for human behaviour.
Glyn