View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 11:52 am   #1
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Converting component to S-Video

I'm not sure of the right forum to post this, but figure I should be pretty close here (mods, please move if required).

Does anyone have any circuit ideas/designs for converting component video (YCbCr/YPbPr or whatever) to S-Video? I remember reading somewhere that the C component of S-Video (Y/C) is two C signals mixed together, and that composite is the whole lot mixed together.

Because of this I was just thinking of mixing the two chrominance signals together with a TL071 and seeing what happens, but I'm not sure about the bandwidth of the signals or if anything needs to be filtered etc.

The reason I ask is that I have just bit the bullet and built a media centre PC*. Most video cards have S-Video, but my Sony SW292 has component in, so I tracked down a card with component to run the TV. This is fine, but I have wired the house with composite and S-Video feeds between the lounge and living area to run the projector from work. The wiring was DVD player component -> TV; DVD player S-Video -> building cabling -> work's projector; VCR composite -> building cabling -> work's projector.

In theory I could split the component and use the three coax lines between rooms to run component to the projector, but that means I have to replace the S-Video leads etc already in place (and the S-Video connectors look so good beside the other connectors on the wall plates!).

Any ideas would be appreciated!

(media centre PC = Gigabyte motherboard w/Intel 915 chipset, Pentium-D 805, 1024 MB, 320 GB, ATI X1600 256MB video w/DVI and component out, Haupauge MCE500 dual analogue capture card, DVD+/-RW DL, Windows xp MCE)