View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2018, 8:17 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Meter Suggestions for Basic Alignment/Calibration

I will have a look at my own meters to check- but i don't think i have anything that goes that far down with good enough resolution for your purpose.

I have only been messing with avometers for maybe 3 yrs, and thus far have never actually measured the current consumption of any of the movements. My typical check is to approach the meter (say, an Avo 8) with a sensitive ohmmeter, and check the resistance between the terminals on the 10v DC range. If i get the desired result of around 200kohms, i then energise the avo with an accurate reference voltage of 10 volts DC, and if i get full scale deflection- job done. If there is a discrepancy then the magnetic shunt gets adjusted. This then tells me the current consumption is correct.

I realise i haven't answered your question there, but you see what i'm driving at. (more than one way to get a result whilst you track down a new microammeter)

Sooner or later i will need to measure the current consumption of one of my rarer meters, as there is no data trail to suggest which movement was fitted to it in the factory- and if it's unique to this model i will need to treat it carefully!

Dave