View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 2:02 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Nashton universal DC meter

Well it's not 'C' cell size. It would seem to take a cell or battery of around three quarters of an inch in diameter by about two and three quarter inches in length. I seem to remember a now obsolete battery of around this size when I was a youngster that fitted various toy boats and torches etc. I wonder if this meter is older than I thought, perhaps early 60s or even late 50s? I had initially thought it was probably early 70s, but as can be seen in a picture below, its sockets take the older imperial wander plug size.

The control knob on the top right of the front panel with +&- under it is actually a six position switch but with nothing to indicate any of the positions - crazy? The last two positions clockwise do actually change the polarity of the voltage reading input but what about the other four positions? It's not accurate in reading and there's around 0.01 volt on the voltage terminals, so obviously some leaky capacitor and calibration problems, which are to be expected on the unit of this age.

It seems to be quite rare as there's nothing to be found on the net about this instrument. It'll probably join the other similar items in the collection for the time being.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110022.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	152049   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110023.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	152050   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110024.JPG
Views:	105