View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2019, 7:31 pm   #9
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Fluke 8010A digital multimeter

I think there was about 5 volts across it, whereas there's around 15 volts now I've replaced it. It wasn't quite short circuit, but down to a few K. It had started to bulge and leak at the bottom as can be seen in one of the pictures below.

As shown in the first picture below, when I first opened it up I noticed part of a Post-it note stuck to the board with 'fault' written on it, indicating that it had been looked into before. I would think that it went faulty soon after it was originally put into use and once it started to play up it would have been switched off taken out of service fairly quickly, as I would certainly have expected that capacitor to have gone pop. I don't think this meter has had a lot of use, so I've just replaced the one capacitor and the meter is now working. I think that the person that originally opened it up probably had its chassis on the bench along with others and decided it was not worth repairing, having not noticed the incorrectly fitted capacitor and just boxed it back up for chucking in the skip. It didn't actually get to the skip as I happened to spot the trolley full of scrap gear on its way and was asked if there was anything I wanted and to help myself.

When I put the case back on I noticed a rattle from somewhere, so I removed the case again and traced the rattle to a spring within the milliamp socket. This was because the 2 amp fuse was missing, probably having been removed to replace a blown one in another working meter. I replaced the fuse with a 2 amp quick blow and did a quick check on the 200mA range against an AVO, and it agreed at around 40mA with a 1.5 volt cell and a series resistor, although I haven't as yet done an accurate test against another DVM on any of the current ranges.

I did the test again on the 20 volt range with a PP3, the same as I did originally when the meter was faulty, and as can be seen in the picture, it's now working well reading 9.66 volts. However, it's reading slightly high as this battery reads 9.60 volts on another meter that I regard as accurate. Having just found a copy of the manual on-line, I see that according to page 47, that it might just be within specification at the higher end limit. I haven't at this stage done any more checks, but I feel that it ought to be more accurate than that - any advice on 'adjustments' welcome, although I haven't studied the manual properly yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120855.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	185012   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120861.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	185013