View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2019, 5:16 pm   #2
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi TF2430 frequency counter

It might just be a switch or connection issue with the HOLD button.

I've still got my old TF2430 but it rarely gets used. However, I dug it out today and powered it up and it is still working well apart from one dodgy LED segment. It's definitely the segment because I recall swapping the display digits around and the dim segment followed across to the new display location. I did manage to find a supplier of the original black LED segments used in this counter but I've not fitted the replacement yet.

In terms of accuracy, mine rarely needs adjusting. It usually starts up about 7 Hz high (10 Hz high on a cold day) and over the course of about 30 minutes it slowly drifts to be within a couple of Hertz of 10MHz. It's doing the same today. I've used a lot of frequency counters over the years but the little TF2430 takes some beating for general CB/ham servicing in the HF bands. The sensitivity and display stability are excellent and this is almost the perfect counter for this type of work.

One thing to be way of is that they don't like being operated in a cramped location as the regulator at the back panel can get very hot. Also, always allow air access to the vents on the underside at the rear. This keeps the regulator at a cooler temperature. Mine doesn't have the tilt stand so I have to prop it up to avoid this issue. Laying it flat on a hard surface is a bad idea in terms of thermal management. The 10MHz reference will probably not be as stable when used like this either.