View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 7:07 pm   #37
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Hameg HM307-3 Cleaning and Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
I'll start checking around IC303 and TR301 to see if anything is out of order.
Yup, I would probably be looking for dry joints and perhaps be suspicious of those two electrolytic caps.

WME_bill thank you for joining in and you are most welcome to do so. BTW, regarding the Y amp, I rather suspect that the new input FETs may not be suitable because the input voltage at the IC is too high (about +2v vs +0.5v). Without them installed the pre-amp was balanced once the faulty transistors were replaced, and the Y plate voltages were within something like 5-6v of each other. With the JFETs installed, there was a significant differential again at the output of the pre-amp stage and through to the plates. The op swapped the IC at one point, so this seems an unlikely culprit but I am unsure. I had a similar issue with one particular scope and had to find FETs with a particularly low drain-source zero bias (IDSS) current. Any old JFET would just not do. However this was a scope with a much higher bandwidth and I'm not sure whether this is so critical for a lower bandwidth scope.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 27th May 2019 at 7:24 pm.