View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 11:50 am   #10
blabbersnitch
Diode

Default Re: MCM Smiths Sectronic Clock MK1, help please

Hi dvdberg,

For the capacitor, .02 would be 0.02 microfarad, or 20nF. It looks like ceramic and the tolerances and temperature coefficients would have been huge. What I am getting at is that you don't need to be too precise in finding a replacement. I suggest a standard value polyester 22nF capacitor, any voltage >10V (it will be hard to find one less than 50V rated anyway).
Something with long legs, something like this.
Pick the 22nF option, pack size, and the 100V rating is fine.

The transistor is a bit trickier. I will attach my notes from when I fixed a similar clock. You will see a note in pencil referring to "Junghans ATO clock". If you google "Junghans ATO clock circuit" and view images, you will see some similar circuits.
So... I think it would be a fair assumption its a PNP germanium transistor. I couldn't find a reliable equivalent for my 13x just as I can't find a reliable equivalent for your transistor. The AC188 worked (and continues to work) well for me, so why not give that a try, pretty easy to get, for example here.
But you will have to trace out your circuit to identify which leg is the emitter, collector and base. Trace out the circuit and see if you get a circuit like mine (maybe you should do that first). Then you can replace with the new transistor (you will see in my notes which leg is which when viewing the transistor from underneath).
Be very careful when soldering around the tiny tiny wires from the sense/drive coils. If they break... fixing gets a lot harder. Hopefully you won't have touch them or their solder pads.
Let us know how you go, or if you have any questions, drop them here.
Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lyns 70s star clock circuit.pdf (514.8 KB, 53 views)