View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2021, 12:27 pm   #7
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Re: adjusting tracking weight on a Philips AG1014 / Disc Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
The screw on the left which is attached to the spring is the one I was referring to. That adjusts the weight. Philips made two different styles of cartridge for this deck, the infamous "tilting" one, the other being a larger wedge shape, with a red "flip-under" stereo cartridge. That was heavier than the "tilting" version, and required the weight to be adjusted accordingly, hence the screw and spring arrangement.

Barry
I've had both of those heads but this one used the larger wedge type head with the flip-under but sadly it's output was fading.

The screw on the left is actually a plain set screw from my parts bin and not an official Philips thing, but good to know that perhaps I'm on the right track. The screw meshes well within the spring and even allows some fine adjustment, the big issues are will it maintain consistently the new lighter tracking weight across the horizontal arc of the tonearm when in use, and will it not foul the housing when that is screwed back over the bubble arm (housing not shown in pic 2 but is in pic 1), I'll trial this over the best few days