View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 9:43 pm   #57
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: KB FB10 "Toaster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliff View Post
Is the sticky sleeving story true? I've decided to re-route the transformer lead anyway, but it would be useful to know one way or the other.

The set's status today is "buzzing". Last night it was working before I screwed the case on.

Gus.
Not aware of the sleeving becoming conductive but I suppose if the impregnation had failed and exposed the cloth, it could become damp and slightly conductive. I doubt it will cause your problem though. Possibly something sharp could pierce the cloth insulation when it's all screwed together. If it works OK out of the case and only buzzes when screwed together, something is touching where it shouldn't.

If it was me, I would slide the top case on and loosely fit the bottom plate. Then switch on, check that the set works and then fit the screws one at a time, screwing each one up slowly and see at which point the buzz returns. This may help to isolate where the problem is.

Can you post a good close-up picture of the underside? it may help us to see where the problem is (don't worry if your wiring is less than tidy......)!!

Rich.