View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 12:38 am   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

Hi

I didn't realise DG sets had larger yokes, although I can see why, as aren't the guns angled? (I'm not too sure on that) On my hunt for a 70s set I referred to here often (As i think you know) to see which would be a good set for me to begin with. I was often told to keep away from certain sets for a beginner set due to convergence, so i guess these were DG sets and were early 70s sets.

Would a shadow mask from a DG set not work on a PIL set and vice versa with the correct adjustments, or would it just be a mess?

With the yokes being convergence, does that mean that some sets would've been wonky for the sake of a good picture?

About the decaying guns, so when a CRT dies, in order to get it up and running again, it'd need to be re-gunned in some way. I was actually doing some research online and i came across a website with someone who had the exact same issue as i had with the smeared, off coloured picture (On a monitor I believe) and my I was gutted to read that it could be the tube dying - so of course, when i got mine running again i couldn't have been happier with the result.

I think with CRTs, the colour given often makes up for the resolution, and when you're sitting a sensible distance away, the resolution isn't too much of an issue (Not for me anyway) of course, sitting up close to the set I notice the imperfections in the resolution but im rarely up close to it.

I find it fascinating how complicated CRT TVs are, compared to TVs now, and the fact that the inventors had very little to base them off, and to have been created in the 1920s and 30s, I find that even more fascinating.

Thanks