View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:07 pm   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Grundig Satellit 2000

I purchased a Satellit 2000 a while ago from a member. One of the things that was immediately evident was that the dials area was foggy. I opened up the radio today because I needed to change a couple of bulbs, hoping that the fogginess was down to a film of grime and dust on the inside, but it turns out that the outer perspex cover itself does, in fact, have a foggy appearance.

Is this a chemical change in the perspex? Is it reversible? Its difficult to tell whether this is on the inside or outside, or throughout the material, but the outside surface appears to be undamaged.

I changed the two failed bulbs and it is evident that the perspex parts on the inside are generally in good order and absolutely clear. The exception is the FM dial which has what looks like a scuff on the rear and an unsightly mark, probably from touching the surface below. I don't think there is much I can do about that.

The other question I have is, is it me, or do all Grundig transistor radios of the era sound slightly distorted? I had a Concert Boy in the 80s which I thought sounded distorted and I have heard other Grundig radios that sounded the same to my ear, as does this one. Is this down to some compromise to produce that "big grundig sound" ? The only one that I have heard that didn't sound distorted to me was the Satellit 700, but its audio characteristics seem different and cleaner. I expect that by the time the 700 was produced, they had switched from Germanium to Silicon parts in the power amp section, although I doubt that alone accounts for the cleaner audio characteristic of the Satellit 700. I have a couple of Roberts 1950's radios with germanium output transistors that sound very nice and not at all distorted like Grundigs, but naturally do not have that big Grundig sound....

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 28th Feb 2021 at 5:21 pm.