View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2019, 7:15 pm   #7
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes MR10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
Reading through the article "It Came From Outer Sidcup" by John Ounsted in the BVWS Bulletin volume 24 number 3 Autumn 1999 I have come to the conclusion that he may have been unlucky with his experience of the MR10.
I also have both versions of this model and found the electrical restoration straightforward and easy, reception is adequate with the aluminium foil antenna but agree it is better with a decent external FM aerial, much like any other make of FM radio.
The advantage of this type of set and many others with a mediocre foil plate aerial for FM and ferrite rod for AM is, that in a good signal area the radio is self contained and can be moved from room to room with no external aerial connections.
As you may know I have a few KB sets, and my collection includes 7 different KB valve radios with FM, I also have 2 radiograms with FM. They have all been straightforward to get working.
I have not found any appreciable difference in the performance of KB FM sets to other early valve FM sets that that I have restored.
Thanks Mike for your early advice and guidance prior to this Thread appearing and for your ongoing support.

So far so good and things will become clearer this week when we finally get to grips with some of the electrical components on the underside of the chassis.

One of my earliest restorations was a Philips B3G63A which has a mediocre foil plate aerial for FM and ferrite rod for AM - this sounds good, especially on FM, and the set has indeed been moved round various rooms in the house.

Hopefully this bodes well for the K-B MR10?