View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2019, 9:51 am   #21
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: "Meet Mr Lucifer" (film)

The screen shot by Kevin only reminds me of how difficult it was humping woodies and bakelite TV's into place for the window display. As for lifting them onto the shelves I can't imagine the size of the nuts and bolts holding shelves up or how much stronger I must have been.

Because the aerial amp was only good enough for a couple of sets to display pictures and when BBC 2 came along, only sufficient signal for one at a time, comparing one set against another was impossible.

In practise, it didn't matter as we rented most sets and the customer was more interested in how much per week the set cost. We were more interested in what goodies the manufacturer offered us when buying more than one model, usually a Christmas hamper would close the deal!

Radios and especially radiograms were a different matter. Full bass and no treble was the order of the day to show off the HiFi of VHF, this was when I worked in Letchworth Herts. "Up north", Sowerby Bridge to be exact, there was little treble on VHF by the time the PO landlines had got to Holme Moss and as MW didn't then have the high compression of today's stations, FM wasn't a big deal; moving the AM dial just a little off station gave the listener all the treble wanted!

Oh happy days