View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2019, 10:08 am   #7
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: PCB nibbler tools

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dremel-Ro...Q/232914752373

Despite the Italian it's from China.

IMO the only decent way to cut PCB sheets up is the tile cutting wheel with water bath. I got one originally, a plasplus, to cut quarry tiles and later got one with a metal bed. I think the cutting wheels are like some angle grinder wheels. Does a nice job of thin steel or aluminium sheets. Plastic is tricky. Thin MDF & hardboard can be cut too (best dry with no water bath).

I did have the use of an X Y Z computer controlled mill that used a sort of heavy duty "Dremel" style drill in my last job. It was a kit. First task was to mill the working bed. We used it to make 0.8mm fibreglass "PCBs" by drilling guide holes for pins first and then milling both sides. Then drilling holes. Eagle -> Plot file -> Utility -> PC Windows special application -> Controller in the mill.

I wish I could have kept it. However it means I'll only ever order in PCBs or buy one, never etch at home ever again. Actually not done home etching for maybe 30 years. First attempt was using mum's nail varnish as resist in about 1971.

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 4th Aug 2019 at 10:17 am.