View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2019, 11:45 am   #12
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Ex marine AM radio equipment.

From my research into BEME of Hythe & Coastal Radio of Edinburgh & Poole, and what I picked up during my time at Woodsons, such companies were set up post-war by "one man band/family" radio entrepreneurs. Folk who were demobbed with excellent radio skills, and who saw opportunities from "re-cycling" heaps of decent surplus military equipment. Powerful PA valves, miniature valves, Crystal controlled Collpits oscillators, MOPA circuitry, etc. All resulted in robust & reliable Tx/Rx's suitable for small wheelhouses of fishing boats & inshore vessels. Later taking contracts with the RNLI, and catering for the growing yachting fraternity in the 50's & 60's.
The growing amateur radio fraternity plumbed straight for adapting & working the military equipment itself. Therefore mainly by-passing the ex marine equipment when it became available.
BEME was swallowed up by Derritron in the 60's, Coastal Radio became "Marconi 1956", and good old Woodsons(Mr Wood & his sons) are the only remaining family business left in the UK, I think. Good for them.

Regards, David