View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2019, 11:08 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Ex marine AM radio equipment.

Back in the early 80's I did occasional P/T work for Woodsons for about 4 years, whilst living in the far NW of Scotland, then a year F/time over here on the East Coast. It was a great time for working old marine band HF AM R/T's, but the writing was on the wall as SSB's started to replace them.
Oban Radio, Stornaway Radio, Wick Radio, Stonehaven Radio, etc. Must've accumulated quite a few air-hours making test calls. I think the Coastal Station staff appreciated my no-nonsense & formal speech(drilled into us RAF guys back in the 60's when carrying out test calls with STR18 or Collins 618T. Cyprus to UK, or Shajah, or Gan in the Maldives, etc.). Happy days. Fishing skippers mostly spoke in Scottish Doric with additional swearies added at times.
Back on subject - I hope all these reminiscences encourage more Forum folk to restore old marine band R/T's. If you leave the casing off a CR Nimbus or a Woodsons Spey when transmitting, you can almost see the electrons bashing the anodes of 807's or TT22's, if you let your imagination run away a bit.

Regards, David