View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 10:03 pm   #36
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: The Best GDO Ever Made?

Ah! Just spotted the later posts here. Re the three resistors in the HT line of the Model 59 (Megacycle Meter); I cannot offer any comment on the rationale of the two 6k8's. The separate 5k6 allows a tapping which relates to the fact that the 59 will also act as a wavemeter, detecting RF signals and indicating them both on the meter and via headphones.

The manual for the 59 describes how it can best be used in various roles as a GDO (including antenna work) and also as a means of measuring L, C, Q and mutual conductance. Sadly, it's over 3MB so I cannot upload it.

As stated above, I built a FET GDO back around 1970 but there have been times when it has given spooky readings which were hard to explain, most recently, when playing with a 5MHz dipole. If you spend time Googling "GDO's" (which I have ) you find questions here and there about FET GDO's (and Wrangler has expressed similar concerns). I think some people believe that a valve may be better, or even a bipolar transistor, but I'm not stringent on this; whatever rocks your boat! I am interested in building another GDO, I'm now cooling off the tunnel diode option and heading towards an Acorn, perhaps a direct copy of the Model 59.

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 12th Jan 2018 at 10:09 pm.