View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 10:02 am   #6
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Leitch Studio Clock Problem

We had dozens and dozens of the DAC model clocks around our broadcast station. But it was a long time ago and I can’t remember any detail, although we used to repair them but they were not very user serviceable. The two things I do remember is that the internal illumination ‘facility’ was not very long lived and we used to retrofit a home brew LED strip mod (these clocks were often used in control rooms with little illumination so internal lighting was essential. Secondly, I recall the stepper motors calibrated their physical position by means of aligning tiny holes in some of the cogs. If you take them apart ALL is lost and you will not be able to reassemble the motors correctly and the clock is then useless - in this event we would swap motors around from scrap units.

As an aside, twice a year when the UK clocks changed we had to wait until 2am for our Leitch satellite receiver system to change and then we had to go around the building and check every clock had changed. The clock can detect when its external time code feed has been interrupted, reset itself to the ‘all hands to 12’ position, then move the hour/minute hand to the correct positions plus one minute, them wait until the external time feed is ‘ticking’ over to the next minute then set the second hand going.

Sorry I can’t offer any more technical advice, it was so long ago now. Don’t take the stepper motors apart.

PS, are you sure the hand hasn’t simply moved on it’s shaft?