View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2019, 6:02 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default When an interest in valves becomes out of control without realising!

Only title that I could think of really.
For many decades I have been accumulating/collecting valves.
Accumulating is I think where, well, just accumulated. Maybe no specific reason other than "might come in handy one day" OR, a finite resource, get them while you can!
Collecting I think is because of a specific interest, usually of historical context.
Well. Collecting first. I am very interested in WW2 technology and achievements, mostly RAF. hence, I have quite a few different makes and styles of EF50 (and all the other numbers they come as). Plus, a few radar related valves. And of course loads of spares for my 1155s!
Accumulated. Everything else valve wise i put under this banner. From spare valves for gear that I own, to unusual types, that I maybe never heard of, to ones that I think "may be useful....one day". Also ones that the audiophools covet and pay a premium for! (I am a pensioner, like a lot of others on this wonderful forum)..
SO, after seeing the recent "for sale" offer by David Simpson, yesterday, I took down a large box from my garage shelf marked as "stabilisers". I was staggered just how many valves were within.
SO, today, I spent a few hours quickly looking through about half of my OTHER valves for "stabilisers". About another 50 were found.
This brings my total to nearly 250 I imagine?
By "stabilisers" I also include voltage reference tubes. Note! First time I wrote "Tubes"!
As I only have (estimated) 3000 or so valves in total, I am amazed just how many stabilisers I accumulated over the decades.
I do not know why!
Yes, I have maybe 200+ NOS ECC81, but few ECC82 and fewer still 83.
I wonder, does anyone else have this valve "collecting" instinct or "obsession" that they find has got out of control without even realising?
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 17th Aug 2019 at 6:27 pm.